History of the Alli Event Center
It all started when...
In January 1887 the new parish of St. Augustine was authorized for the Brighton area where Father William Howlett was appointed as the first pastor. In September of 1887, construction began on the church originally located at 139 N. Division Street.
Parishioners completed mostof the work for the $1,500 church donating the stained glass windows over the altar and the round (rose) window over the front door. On August 28, 1888 the church was appropriately dedicated on the feast of St. Augustine.
As Brighton grew the area surrounding the church was becoming more commercialized. The parishioners hoped for a more suitable location, so in 1891 the brick church building was moved to its current location which included a small house already on the property used as the rectory. To commemorate the move stained glass windows, matching the original three, were installed on either side of the building.
By 1902, due in part to a decline in attendance, the church had fallen into disrepair. In 1903 in an effort to bring people back to the church, current pastor, Father Robertson resorted to placing advertisements in the Brighton Blade proving success. In 1904, Father Froegel became the ninth pastor and a new brick rectory was built next door (which is a private residence today), again with much of the work done by the parishioners and by 1906 the church was serving over forty local families.
The church continued to grow, and in 1919, the congregation bought the block on 6th Avenue where the current St. Augustine stands today. Construction of a new church and rectory began in 1929, and completed in 1930. Three stained glass windows from the original altar were moved to the new building as well as the church bell.
Shortly after, the original church and rectory were sold for $10,000 to T. A. Allen and was converted to a funeral parlor using the rectory as his residence. Much of the church furnishings left behind were donated to another Catholic church, but the stained glass windows remained and still beautify the current indoor space.
The building was sold again in the early 1940s to Lyle Rice who kept it as a funeral parlor, enlarging the building and given the changing the name to Rice Mortuary. Rice later sold the business and building to Jim Arthur. During this time the building housed the Adams County Coroner office and the Platte Valley Ambulance.
In January 2002, Pat and Christine Tabor purchased the building and incorporated the business and name with their own, making it Tabor-Rice Funeral Home. After a few attempts to sell the building it was decided its best use would be a space for community events.
In an effort to maintain the integrity of this historic building, the Tabor family made great efforts to honor its architecture and enhance the elements such as the balcony, stunning hardwood flooring, original wall textures and moldings. Also still in their original places are circular (rose) window along with the other stained glass windows all of which are still intact.. In keeping with the preservation of the buildings history, several of the church pews were slightly modified and can be seen in the lobby. The garages that were located on the east side were removed to make way for a large outdoor patio. New landscaping has further given this beautiful building new life, bringing it out of the shadows. The parking lot across the street on the West only adds to its appeal.
In 2017, the building was renamed after Allison Tabor, daughter to Pat and Christine Tabor. Pat had been a former manager of Rice Mortuary while the family lived a block away on South 5th Avenue. As a little girl, Allison loved to go to work with her dad and fell in love with the building; the beautiful jeweled stained glass, vaulted ceilings, and of course the balcony were the things of fairy tales. In full support of the rest of the Tabor family, the name was decided, and “The Alli Event Center” opened to the public on April 22, 2017.
Facts/photo courtesy of
Brighton Historic Preservation Commission